User talk:The Doctor
F**ked up beyond all repair/recognition- basically the knock-out table bore no relation to the actual finals as they took place (indeed, it had Allan Saldanha beating Harvey Freeman in the semi-final) and had seedings, where series 33 didn't. Best to rip it out and start again. Nebagram 22:11, 17 May 2010 (BST)
Your comment about Nikki being told she's in the finals makes more sense today than yesterday. However, some other contestants were also told when they'd finished their run that they were on the leaderboard at a place one position higher than they should be. One was Peter; another, I believe, was Claudia. So for consistency, either include them all, or none of them. I understand that the reason for these errors was that the leaderboard being maintained by the production team had inadvertently omitted one name. In any case, it's only relevant until the final lineup is known.--Drawoh 22:50, 18 May 2010 (BST)
My reason for reverting your recent edit, twice, is that one of the contestants, Jon Corby, was from Series 54.--Drawoh 21:23, 1 June 2010 (BST)
Lewis Hamilton v Jenson Button :-D Matt Smith 5 jun 2010, 1217 bst
- The conundrum you used in Round 14 of Episode F6 was a plural. Just sayin. JohnnyCanuck 14:50, 12 June 2010 (BST)
- I watch F1 occasionally, eh, but I'm more a fan of American game shows, eh. Sadly, we don't get Countdown over in the Great White North, eh? JohnnyCanuck 22:18, 12 June 2010 (BST)
- You spelled VUVUZELA wrong.
Will there be another? Supply and demand. The Doctor 16:55, 12 July 2010 (BST)
I'd love to see another F1 series (I'm kind of nostalgic for Richard and the 9 round format these days), but bring back Carol and Rachel. I want more good storylines with them. Huff FTW! JohnnyCanuck 15:10, 13 July 2010 (BST)
FTW = For The Win JohnnyCanuck 15:48, 13 July 2010 (BST) (Also, maybe you should make a new page for each series, like this: User:The Doctor/Formula Series 2. If you keep going with these episodes, the old one will get way too long.)
If you're going to do recaps of certain episodes, there are two things you need to know.
1. I sort out ALL recaps (with the exception of Mondays), so you're not required to do them! 2. If you're going to make a botched-up version of it, at least have the decency to do it all correctly in future! JRTerrier24 18:44, 11 June 2010 (BST)
I've undone your attempt at changing the Clive Freedman's page name for a couple of reasons.
- The convention for contestants with duplicate names is to qualify them by the series in which they started their run, even though it may spill over to a second series. There is no advantage in having 6 & 7 in the page title, as it's never seen, other than in the category lists.
- Putting such characters as & in a page title have very unfortunate consequences, one of which results in the page in question not being able to be accessed at times.
BTW, if you do a move again, as you did with Ben Cooke earlier in the week, there's a lot more to be done than just moving the page and creating a disambiguation page. All the pages which refer to the page which as been moved have themselves to be edited. In the case of the Ben Cooke page which you moved, there were 19 references elsewhere in the wiki which needed amending.--Drawoh 19:37, 7 July 2010 (BST)
- No worries. Series 30 references to Ben Cooke have been fixed now. :) --Drawoh 19:25, 8 July 2010 (BST)
Signing your messages
I notice you have been manually signing your messages. Well, you don't need to do that, it is a lot of work. There is a button at the top of the window (where the bold, italic etc. buttons are) which does it automatically for you. You will find this 2nd from the right in the row of buttons. --Vande 17:01, 9 July 2010 (BST)
- You mean like this?--The Doctor 17:20, 9 July 2010 (BST)
- Hooray. It DID IT!!!!!--The Doctor 17:20, 9 July 2010 (BST)
- Glad to be of help ;-) --Vande 17:23, 9 July 2010 (BST)
Doctor, in round 8, C1 explained that he had a method which used all the numbers. Basically what he did was:
- 8 - 7 = 1
- 2 - 1 = 1
and then he multiplied it by the (5 x 100) + 8, because that still made the right answer.
Hope that clears things up. :) JRTerrier24 16:33, 11 July 2010 (BST)
Could you give us some notification if there will be another featured article for august. As you will see on Countdown:Featured articles, I have made a few more proposals, going on the basis that they have the same amount of detail as
Harvey Freeman, who went on to become an FA. I'm not going to start nagging about Scott Mearns, but I really do think he should be in there for August. Anyway, back to the point, and could you please tell us whether the will be another Featured Article for August 2010. Please. Please.
The Doctor 12:09, 12 July 2010 (BST)
- Try and avoid making such a mess around here, Doctor! ;-) I'd suggest the article for Scott Mearns has all of the content prerequisite for a featured article, but is let down by the general tone in places - i.e., it doesn't quite feel encyclopaedic. That said, there will definitely be a new FA for August, for which I will make preparations nearer the end of the month. I normally give articles a little proofread and a tidy during this process, but if you want to you are welcome to have a go at 'beefing it up' yourself.
- As an example, I can see immediately that the introductory paragraph needs extending. It needs to be longer than the Twitter-esque summary that it is at the moment, but not so long that it contains every fact from the body of the article. For a good example of the ideal length in my opinion, see the article for Stewart Holden.
- I hope this helps! Best wishes, Chris 'Crispy' Philpot 11:52, 13 July 2010 (BST)
Just in case you miss my request in the original edit summary, please see and respond to my message to you on Talk:JOLT.
Chris 'Crispy' Philpot 12:53, 13 July 2010 (BST)
12 round format
I only put this in because all the other formats have their own page. I thought it would be best to make up the set. The Doctor 13:44, 13 July 2010 (BST)
- That's fair enough, but I feel that just because there is a gap it doesn't mean it needs filling. As they say, a composition is not about the notes you use but rather the notes you leave out. I'll leave the page for a few days as I am happy to listen if anyone has a particularly strong reason for it to remain. Please don't take my actions on the wiki this afternoon as negative, by the way - your enthusiasm is greatly appreciated. I just have to keep an eye on things like consistency with other pages which are easily forgotten when you're passionately writing away. :-)
- Chris 'Crispy' Philpot 16:47, 13 July 2010 (BST)